Thursday, March 5, 2009

Some Answers...More Questions

Cardiologist (3/5/09)

Got some test results today. Saw the cardiologist and found out I have a "leaky valve". While this is not the cause of my strokes it is a reason for my getting gassed way easier than most guys do even though I do a bunch more cardio type activity (all the cycling). While this is interesting and something to look at in the future, its not a big concern at the moment. For now, we need to find the root cause of my strokes.

The Echo cardiogram of my heart did not show a Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) outright. It did show enough areas of concern, like the leaky valve, for the doctor to decide to proceed with the Trans esophageal Echo cardiogram (TEE) test. This should be a fun one. Basically, I go into the hospital, get knocked out and they shove an ultrasound device down my throat. They will be able to look at my heart from inside my digestive tract. It is basically an echo cardiogram from the inside. Freaky.

The good news is that if I do indeed have a VSD they will see it and we will be able to do something about it. Who knows what they will find. Perhaps nothing. If so, we are back to square one with the neurologist and the assumption that it is all in my head....in a manner of speaking.

Oh, and my blood work was just dandy. They took gallons and tested for everything under the sun, at least I know that I don't have anything odd at all. Dr.House would be so disappointed to have me as a patient as I don't think that even he could think of any other blood tests to run.

I have this surgical TEE test on Monday morning and a follow-up with the cardio doc on Wednesday afternoon. An appointment with the neurologist follows in the week shortly thereafter. With any luck answers are near, and a permanent regime of preventive measures as well.

Wish me Luck. And a big thank you to everyone for your support. It really means a lot to me. It can be a drag to keep plugging thru this muck but your well wishes have made it a bit easier. Thanks again.

No comments: